Tuesday, June 21, 2011

{families are forever}

"Families can be together forever, through Heavenly Father's plan.
I always want to be with my own family and the Lord has shown me how I can."- Hymn #300
I am grateful for this knowledge.
Let me just tell you a little background of my Uncle Jerry. He has been in the family forever! Since my grandfather passed before I was even born, Jerry has always felt like a grandfather to me. Every Sunday at grandmas, he would always make sure to talk to me
and ask me how I was doing. I always admired him for being so personable. He was also a great missionary.

In April,Jerry was diagnosed with cancer. He was first diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was scheduled for surgery to remove it all. The doctors discovered it had spread everywhere: stomach, liver, and everywhere else. Hearing this news was shocking to all of us. He has always been a healthy guy and suddenly BAM! Since his diagnoses, he talked to each one of us. He had us come to his house and give us his last words of wisdom. On June 12, 2011 we received the news that he had passed. This hit me really hard. He was really gone.
His funeral was this past weekend, and it was hard. Yes, we know it was the Lord's plan for him to be called back and start his mission in Heaven, but it is still hard to think he is not here with us. Knowing he didn't have very long, he was able to plan his funeral. He was able to record himself talking and it was played at his funeral. He was a missionary until the moment he passed.
He was always and continues to be an example to me. I am grateful for him and all he has taught me. He has been one of the biggest influences in my life. I love him so much and will miss him greatly. He will be forever in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment